“The Square next to the Baptist Church to be called Warren Square.”
Warren Square with the Fuller & Buck Store on the left looking across to Commercial Street – c1877
Currently, no maps of Hartland detailing the locations of homes, businesses and merchants before 1860 have been discovered. Various documents provide us with enough information to know many existed in its early years of settlement, but most of the specific details of when they were built or by whom remain unknown. The following is based on our best interpretation of known maps, town records, census data, historical book references, photos, artifacts and family genealogical information. Updates will be made as new information is discovered.
We currently have no clear evidence of when Warren Square began its long part in Hartland history although early records do indicate a road running closer along Sebasticook River before Elm Street was built. One possible namesake for the locally famous central location in the Village is Dr. John Warren who purchased the original township of what became Hartland in 1799. However, given Dr. Warren’s residence in Boston and his 1815 death early in the town’s establishment, his son “Squire” Henry Warren, who took over his father’s ownership of the township and lived in Palmyra, may have been a more familiar face to local residents as formal streets began to develop and be named.
Sewell Prescott, Jr built the first known store in Warren Square at the corner of Main Street about 1827 which also served as an early location for the Village Post Office. By the late 1840s, James Fuller, Jr moved to the Village from West Hartland where he built his homestead on Elm Street and purchased the former Prescott store. By 1860, Mr. D. Dudley had built a house and opened a Shoe Shop in Warren Square.
Warren Square – 1860
James Fuller, Jr was later joined in his business by Andrew H. Buck around 1865 operating as the Fuller & Buck General Store.
Fuller & Buck General Store – c1877
In late 1878, a huge fire ravaged the Fuller & Buck Store and destroyed it. The great fire was at least in part an impetus for the town to build it own dedicated Fire House on Water Street in 1879 as the existing fire fighting apparatus had been stored at the Linn Woolen Mill and had been locked up on the day of the fire causing a fateful delay in fighting the blaze.
James Fuller, Jr rebuilt a smaller store building on the site while Andrew H. Buck opened his own store on the lower side of the Sebasticook River Island. Buck later moved to Commercial Street following the Great Flood of 1887 operating as A. H. Buck Stove & Tin Shop.
Warren Square with the new James Fuller, Jr Store on Left – c1886 (Photo 1)
Warren Square – c1886 (Photo 2)
Warren Square after Linn Block was built next to Hartland Drug Store on Commercial Street – c1888
Warren Square – c1888
Warren Square with Hartland House – c1895
At the 1897 Town Meeting, the people of Hartland voted to accept an updated list of names for streets in the Village including, “The square next to the Baptist Church to be called; Warren Square.”
Warren Square Full View – c1900
The former D. Dudley home in the corner of the square later became the home of Dr. Harris H. Pushor who took over primary physician duties in Hartland following the death of Dr. Calvin Blake in 1870. Dr. Pushor built the little white building next his house which served as his office. Following Dr. Pushor’s death, Dr. Edwin A. Bean and his wife Loantha moved from Newport into the house and took over the office building. The small, dark colored building was a jeweler store operated among others by Harry Harris followed by the former James Fuller, Jr store on the corner.
Warren Square – c1900
Warren Square – July 4, 1908
We continue to search for dated photos or documents to confirm the exact year the Bandstand was built in Warren Square but the evidence we have gathered so far puts the construction year sometime around 1911. The earliest and only known dated photo of it, seen below in the background from March of 1912, was taken on Elm Street near the Hartland House showing it was in place by this time.
Bandstand in background – March 1912 (Photo courtesy of Joan Joy Tibbetts)
None of the Hartland Town Reports from this time period show any mention of citizens voting to build the Bandstand, however later reports imply the Hartland Town Band may have been responsible for building it with private funds. In 1920, they requested assistance from the town as noted, “Article 38: To see if the town will vote to assist the Hartland Band financially in any manner, or to act upon anything relating thereto.” Provisions for financing the repairs included the band performing at least 12 concerts annually between June 1st & September 14th.
Warren Square with new Bandstand – c1912
Warren Square – Memorial Day 1919
At the time of these photos, an addition had been added to the former Fuller Store on the corner. The white house in the corner had also been remodeled with a new roof line. Power poles with lines crossing the photo can be seen with the first new street light hanging at the intersection.
Warren Square – c1920
Warren Square Panoramic – c1920
Sometime between 1920 and before the Great Flood of 1923, the store James Fuller, Jr built was moved to Water Street.
Former James Fuller, Jr Store on Water Street – 1923 (3rd Building)
In the mid-1920s, Fred & Lena (Webber) Davis built the Davis Block in Warren Square and purchased the former doctor’s house and office building next to it. They resided in the house with their only child Gertrude Davis. Following Fred’s death in 1932, Lena and Gertrude remained at the house until the late 1940s. Lena would also eventually purchase the Hartland House on Elm Street.
Warren Square with Davis Block – c1925
The Davis Block housed several different businesses over the years. In the front basement floor on the Main Street side, Central Maine Power had an office while the 1st floor of the Warren Square facade held a delicatessen, barber shop, funeral parlor and restaurant. Later, a pool room was also located there. The 2nd & 3rd Floors were used as apartments for many years.
Warren Square – c1930
During World War II, Americans were called upon to contribute to the War Cause with valuable resources including metal and rubber.
Bandstand at Warren Square – 1944
In 1949, Hartland built an Honor Roll for its World War I & World War II Veterans. A dedication ceremony was held to unveil the new Honor Roll.
Veterans of the Military Branches lead the Honor Roll Ceremony procession down Academy Street to Warren Square
4 of the Hartland men Killed or Missing in Action during World War II were honored with a Gold Star Presentation to their family members.
Gold Star Ceremony
Hartland Honor Roll at Warren Square
Following Lena Davis’ death in 1948, Lewis H. Barden purchased all of her Warren Square properties around 1950 including the Davis Block, house, office and the Hartland House on Elm Street. Barden soon moved his grocery store business from his Commercial Street location into the Davis Block which later became locally known as the Barden Block.
Warren Square former Davis Block now owned by L. H. Barden – 1955
The former doctor’s office building located between the Davis Block and the corner house was moved by Lewis H. Barden in 1950 to its current location on Elm Street (future Gervais house). The building was actually built in the 1870s serving first as the office of Dr. Harris H. Pushor then used by Dr. Edwin A. Bean following Dr. Pushor’s death.
Former Doctor’s Office Moved – 1950
Lewis Barden, Sr had been grooming his son Lewis Barden, Jr to take over the family store business since the younger Barden had returned from active duty in World War II. He had graduated from Hartland Academy in 1943 and was working as the Store Manager at his father’s store when he succumbed to illness on June 27, 1949. Barden’s daughter Laura (Barden) Crummett and her husband Donald took over duties at the store operating it for the next several years into the early 1960s.
Barden Block – Memorial Day Parade 1958 (Photo courtesy of Laurel Knowles White)
In the early 1960s, LaForrest “Fod” Wright purchased the Barden Block opening his 2nd grocery store location in the area. Fod is the son of Harry & Olive (Wood) Wright.
The basement floor of the building with its Main Street entry was used by several businesses over the course of the building’s history with Central Maine Power’s local office being one of the first in the 1950s. In the mid-1960s, Herbie Brooks of Dexter opened a restaurant in the basement to go with his original Dexter location. Soon after Joe & Gertie Bizeau took over the business operating as “Joe & Gertie’s Restaurant” until an August 30th fire in 1969 caused major damage to their restaurant and other sections of the building. Joe & Gertie moved their restaurant soon after to Commercial Street at the former E. P. Dyer Block. Several businesses used the basement location after the fire including a clothing store, video rental store, day care and beauty shop until the building’s final fiery demise in 1994.
Pittsfield Advertiser Article – Printed September 3, 1969
Basement Floor of the Davis-Barden-Wright Block with its Main Street Entry – 1987
In the late 1970s, the former Davis house in the corner, owned by Meredith Randlett at the time, was razed and an extension was built onto the existing Wright Store Block.
Wright’s Shurway Grocery Store following Store Extension – 1985
Rendering of Warren Square Bandstand by Beacher W. Payne, Jr – 1980
In 1987, Rocky & Vicki (Getchell) Rice moved their V & R Variety Store business from the former Hartland Drug Store location into the Wright Store Block. They had opened their 1st store on Commercial Street in 1977 at the former McCormack/Pelkie Store building before moving into the drug store block in 1981.
V & R Variety Store – 1990
In 1990, through the efforts of a dedicated group of volunteers and financial assistance from the town, the Bandstand was completely restored with a few remodeling modifications including the removal of its tall base & stairs.
Bandstand following Restoration & Reconstruction – 1990
In 1994, the V & R Store Block was severely damaged by fire and Rocky & Vicki soon moved their business into their new building at the former Hartland Emporium lot on Main Street. Warren Square remained a vacant lot for several years until 1999 when the entire square, along with the former Hartland House on Elm Street, were razed and replaced by a new Bangor Savings Bank location. The Bandstand was left standing.
Former Warren Square replaced by Bangor Saving Bank – 1999
Two new granite Veteran Memorial Benches were placed at the Bandstand. The benches were donated by the Galen Cole Foundation and the Cole Land Transportation Museum of Bangor. Several businesses and individuals donated to the effort including: Elmer & Beatrice Littlefield – Project Coordinators | E. W. Littlefield & Sons – Equipment & Materials | Hammond Lumber of Skowhegan – Insulation | Haley Construction – Crushed Stone & Concrete | Dave Bowden & Crew – Placing & Finishing Concrete | Edwin W. Littlefield & Christopher Littlefield – Time and Labor.
Town Manager Peggy Morgan, Elmer Littlefield, Chris Littlefield & Dwayne Littlefield (Photo by Brenda Seekins)
Warren Square Bandstand – Decorated by Hartland Historical Society – Memorial Day 2016 (Photo by Brenda Seekins)
In 2016, Bangor Savings Bank closed its Hartland location. In 2017, lifelong Hartland resident & Hartland Historical Society Co-Founder Myrtle (Lovely) Marble purchased the building and lot donating it to the town for the specific purpose of relocating the Hartland Town Office.
New Hartland Town Office Location – 2019 (Photo courtesy of Will Bunker Photography)