Although it didn’t exist during his lifetime, Dr. Calvin Blake was posthumously honored by the town in 1897 with this namesake street.
Most of the area to the north of the Sebasticook River as well as a large section of its western side and all of the eastern side were originally part of St. Albans until the now familiar town lines were established in 1849 and it officially became part of Hartland.
Blake Street did exist until about 1892. It is believed the house shown on the map as G. Lancey was the original home of Dr. Calvin Blake before he built a new house further down Academy Street. George Lancey, Jr married Dr. Blake’s daughter, Frances C. Blake about 1856. Dr. Blake owned most of the land next to and behind the Academy stretching back along the rear of Commercial Street to the St. Albans town line.
Hartland Village – 1860
Dr. Calvin Blake (1798-1870) was one of Hartland’s earliest full-time physicians and practiced medicine here for 42 years beginning in 1825 following his marriage to Louisa Haskell. He was very active in town affairs and served on the original Hartland Academy Board of Trustees. Dr. Blake owned the land on which Blake Street would eventually occupy seen in 1883 after it was inherited by his son, Calvin Blake, Jr.
Hartland Village – 1883
About 1892, Thomas Archibald Linn (1855-1914), son of Archibald Linn, purchased land from Calvin Blake, Jr and built the first house on what would become Blake Street at the corner of Academy Street.
Thomas & Clarabelle Linn Residence
Around 1897, a Boston lawyer also purchased land from Calvin Blake, Jr and built another house just past Linn’s residence extending the existing driveway into a street.
Blake Street entrance from Academy Street
Thomas Archibald Linn Residence – Corner of Blake Street & Academy Street
At the 1897 Town Meeting, the people of Hartland voted to accept an updated list of names for streets in their village including, “From said Academy Street at the point of T. A. Linn’s going north; Blake Street”
Thomas Archibald Linn – Mason 32nd Degree Shaving Cup
Dr. Charles A. Moulton (1860-1946) had been living in St. Albans when he purchased the lawyer’s Blake Street home about 1898 where he and his family lived until 1901 before building a new house and business on Elm Street for his newly renamed Hartland & St. Albans Telephone Company.
In 1901, Thomas A. Linn and his wife, Clarabelle Osborne, purchased the house from Dr. Moulton and gave it as a wedding gift to his daughter, Carrie May Linn, who had married Dr. Lynn H. Blanchard on December 11, 1901. Dr. Blanchard was operating the Hartland Drug Store on Commercial Street at the time. They later moved to Pittsfield where he became a doctor full time.
It would later become the home of Dr. Paul R. Briggs following his move to Hartland to join the Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Medical Staff in 1935. Although the house eventually fell into severe disrepair, it is currently (2020) under renovation by its new owners.
Moulton-Blanchard-Briggs Residence on Blake Street
In 1964, Mr. & Mrs. Neil Turcotte purchased the former Thomas Linn Residence and began operating it as Crestwood Nursing Home.
Former Thomas Archibald Linn Residence – 1987
The residence was eventually purchased by a private owner and renovated.
Former Thomas Archibald Linn Residence following renovations by a Private Owner – 2018
Former home of Kenneth & Geraldine (Knowles) Bishop
Hartland Village – 1943
Currently, we have very few photos from Blake Street but our ongoing quest to find and add more continues.
Partial Ariel View of Blake Street – 2014 (Photo Courtesy of Linda Paine)