“At first, the parlor was used as the operating room where surgeries were performed under chandelier lights”

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – 1970

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital provided a full range of medical services for Hartland and the surrounding area for several decades beginning in 1932, but its story begins well over a century before its doors first opened as a public community hospital.

In 1802, two year old James Moor arrived with his parents William & Sally Moor who settled on what became Commercial Street in Hartland. Following his parents departure to Corinna, James remained in Hartland and began an important role in the early years of development of Hartland’s town affairs and its industry.

James married Dorcas Wiggins in 1821 and they built a modest home atop the highest hill on Main Street where they began raising their family of 9 eventual children. By 1825, James had built the Upper Dam on the Sebasticook River near Mill Street and opened a sawmill on the site. He was later joined in business by 2 of his surviving sons, Amasa James Moor & James William Moor.

James Moor Residence on Main Street – 1860

In 1847, James built a new, larger house on the same location with assistance from his sons and continued his business affairs with the sawmills.

Former James Moor Residence on Main Street – 1910

Following James’ death on December 2, 1873, his daughter Elmeda Moor and her husband Nathan M. Webb took over the family home. James’ wife, Dorcas, lived with them until her death in 1892 at 93 years old. Nathan Webb, the son of John Chandler Webb & Clarissa Nay of St Albans, served as a policeman in Hartland where he married Elmeda in 1861.

Former James Moor Residence on Main Street

Nathan Webb & Elmeda (Moor) had 3 daughters all born in Hartland; Eva in 1862, Cora in 1869 & Nina Webb in 1874.

Webb Family Portrait (L-R) Front Row: Elmeda (Moor) & Nathan Webb – Back Row: Nina, Cora & Eva Webb

Eva M. Webb, the oldest daughter, married Andrew Scott of St. Albans in 1879. Andrew was born in Hawick, Scotland, the son of John Scott & Isabelle Walker who immigrated to New Hampshire in 1864. Eva & Andrew had 1 daughter, Annie M. Scott, who was born in Hartland in 1881 just before they moved to Camden. Annie never married and was a dressmaker when she died in Camden in 1909 at 28 years old. Annie Scott was the only child of any of the 3 Webb Sisters. Eva & Andrew later returned to Hartland where Andrew died in 1917.

Eva (Webb) Scott (left) & Elmeda (Moor) Webb – c1918

Between 1917 & 1919, every member of the Webb Family except Eva passed away leaving her as the only living descendant of her family. Her father Nathan Webb and sister Cora (Webb) Shaw died in 1917, sister Nina (Webb) Buck in 1918 and her mother Elmeda (Moor) Webb in 1919.

Eva (Webb) Scott 1862-1932

Eva remained living at her parents former home until her death on January 6, 1932. In her Will, she had bequeathed her house along with the property to be used specifically as a non-profit general hospital. The Executor of her Will was Dr. Charles A. Moulton who immediately began the process of converting the house James Moor built into a hospital.

On October 12, 1932 Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital opened its doors with six patient rooms. The first patient admitted was John Fox who had suffered a ruptured appendix. Dr. Charles A. Moulton was the Head Physician in charge with his sister Ethel (Moulton) Williamson acting as Supervisor and her husband Eugene Williamson as the Hospital Caretaker.

Along with his hospital duties and serving as a local physician making house calls, Dr. Charles Moulton was also a business entrepreneur in several successful enterprises in town including the Hartland & St. Albans Telephone Company & Hartland Light & Power Company as well as serving as Hartland School Physician from 1916-1942.

Dr. Charles Avery Moulton
Born March 12, 1860 Concord, Maine – Died December 7, 1946 Hartland, Maine
Graduated Westbrook High School – Graduated Bowdoin Medical School 1885
Moved to St. Albans in 1887 then to Hartland in 1897
Head Physician at Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital 1932-1946

In the early years of the hospital, boarders were often accepted when there were empty beds. The hospital also kept cows and hens to sell their milk and eggs all in order to exist and help take care of the bills.

Within a few years after the hospital opened, it was apparent expansion and improvements were needed to the original Moor house to make the facility more efficient and effective for its patients. In 1936, the roof was raised on the northern ell and a new wing was extended from it to provide space for an operating room, delivery room, nursery and additional patient rooms. The westerly ell was also expanded for more space.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital following Renovations – 1936

In 1935, Dr. Paul R. Briggs joined the medical staff marking the beginning of his storied 38 year career at Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Paul Revere Briggs – 1956
Born July 12, 1904 Ashland, Massachusetts – Died 20 April 1985 Hartland, Maine
Graduated from Tufts University School of Medicine in 1931
Joined the Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Staff in 1935

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital suffered an immeasurable loss with the passing of its founder Dr. Charles A. Moulton on December 7, 1946.

Dr. Moulton Obituary – December 12, 1946

Following the death of Dr. Charles A. Moulton, Dr. Paul R. Briggs became the Chief Hospital Administrator and Resident Surgeon.

In 1947, the Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was formed. They were instrumental in raising funds for the new North Wing of the hospital built in 1948 as well as the fund raising for an elevator in 1954. Their efforts enabled the addition of many new pieces of equipment and overall improvement to the facilities. The auxiliary also assisted with many of the daily tasks associated with operating the hospital.

Auxiliary Charter Members (L-R): Edna Wood, Ina (Ouilette) Emery & Meredith (Knowles) Randlett

$30,000 was raised toward the new 2 story North Wing addition of Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital through contributions from businesses, organizations and citizens of Hartland and the 15 surrounding communities the hospital serviced. It was completed in 1948 increasing the hospital’s overall capacity to 60 beds or 75 beds in an emergency. The new wing included new patient rooms, X-Ray Room, Obstetrical Ward, Nursery, Mother’s Ward and a Children’s Ward along with a special fire escape chute for bed confined patients.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital North Wing Addition Layout  – 1947

The North Wing addition included a new Maternal Ward dedicated in memory to the late Dr. Charles Moulton. It was funded in part by a special memorial fund known as “Moulton Babies” created by 57 of the many people who had been delivered by Dr. Moulton over the years.

The basement of the new wing included a kitchen, laundry room, nurse’s dining room, laboratory and utility storage along with a Dumb Waiter.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital following renovation & additions

Undated photos show many of the new rooms in the North Wing Addition.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Children’s Ward Waiting Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Main Waiting Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Patient Rooms

Mrs. Clement Downs of St. Albans hand-painted the nursery rhyme murals in the new Children’s Ward.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Children’s Ward

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Offices

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – X-Ray Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – X-Ray Reading Station

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Laboratory

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Laboratory

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Laboratory

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Surgery Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Surgery Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Basement – Nurse’s Dining Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Basement – Kitchen

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Basement – Kitchen

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Basement – Laundry Room

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing Addition – Basement – Laundry Room

On Thursday May 12, 1949 National Hospital Day was observed at Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital.

Watson Triplets: Clarence, Chester & Clinton

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Medical Staff – 1956

(L-R) 1st Row: Dr. Ernest D. Humphrey, Dr. Merlin A. Webber, Dr. Marian Strickland & Dr. Julio Gomez Rangel
2nd Row: Dr. Paul W. Burke, Dr. R. F. Gloor, Dr. Paul R. Briggs & Dr. E. R. Nawfel, D.D.S.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Nursing Staff – 1956

1st Row: Grace Webber, Ida Briggs, Emily Spear, Madeline Ball, Arlene St. Peter, Eunice Harper, Bessie Nickse & Lucille Hanson 2nd Row: Grace Marble, Bessie Field, Erline Humphrey, Annie Adams, Evelyn Nichols, Thelma Brooks, Rhoda Nelson, Ruth Tibbetts, Irma Stedman, Ada Randlett & Norma Temple 3rd Row: Phyllis Woodman, Glenice Hanson, Marilyn Merrow, Augusta Hayden & Ellen Kelley

In 1957, Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital celebrated its 25th Anniversary.

25th Anniversary Article – November 22, 1957

25th Anniversary Article – November 22, 1957

In 1960, Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Auxiliary reached its fund raising goal of $10,000 and a new elevator was installed.

Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital – North Wing – Elevator Addition – 1954

New Elevator Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital.

(L-R): Dr. Smith, Dr. Robert Dodds, Meredith (Knowles) Randlett, John Plummer & Edgar Woodman

Unfortunately, by the late 1960s insurmountable financial challenges mired the hospital in debt as it struggled to comply with numerous costly upgrades and repairs to its equipment and the physical facilities required to meet new Federal & State Standards.

Town of Hartland Recognition Solid Bronze Plaque presented to Dr. Paul R. Briggs

In 1972, Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital was sold and was later converted into the Sanfield Rehabilitation and Living Center. In 1984, North Country Health Care Associates purchased the facility and continue operating it today under the Sanfield banner.

Sanfield Rehabilitation and Living Center – 2019 (Photo courtesy of Will Bunker Photography)

From its humble beginnings as an old converted house to its peak as a renovated, full service 60 bed health care facility, Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital provided an invaluable service to Hartland and the surrounding communities for 40 years. It was the only hospital within a 25 mile radius of the area until the early 1960s before Sebasticook Valley Hospital was built in Pittsfield.