East Somerset Agricultural Society
One of earliest groups in Hartland to formally organize in 1832.
They operated from their dedicated Fair Grounds on Outer Main Street until they disbanded in 1922.
Their annual fair grew from a small one day cattle show into a large three day event attracting hundreds of participants and visitors from all over the state with their own horse racing track & grandstand, exhibition hall and stables.
The Exhibition Hall was also used for several Town Meetings in the early years of the town’s history.
Corinthian Lodge No. 95
The first meeting of the Hartland Chapter of the Masonic A. F. & A. M. Lodge was held November 17, 1858.
P. H. Tracey was the first Master. On February 16, 1859 T. S. Moore was the first to receive the Master Mason’s Degree conferred by the chapter.
In 1864 the name was changed to the Corinthian Lodge No. 95. Their early meetings were held at Hartland Academy until the new Town Hall was built in 1892.
On January 13, 1958 they purchased and moved to the former Knights of Pythias Lodge on Outer Main Street where they celebrated their 100th Anniversary later that year.
See Main Street
Order of the Eastern Star Chapter No. 189
The Sister Organization of the Masons were first chartered in Hartland in 1924.
They began with 30 members and held their first meeting at the home of their first Worthy Patron, Albert Marr.
Mrs. Emma Woodbridge would become the first Worthy Matron.
Membership would grow as high as 87 members through the years.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows No. 101
The I. O. O. F. No. 101 organized in Hartland in 1883 with 25 Charter Members.
Their meetings were first held at Hartland Academy where they had their own dedicated room on the top floor.
In 1892, they joined with the Masons and the Hartland Town Hall Association to build the new Town Hall where they held their meetings on the top floor.
This photo of the I. O. O. F. safe was taken in 2016 at their former 3rd Floor dedicated Meeting Room at Town Hall.
Twilight Rebekah Lodge No. 60
They were first chartered in Hartland in 1895 with 24 Charter Member with Mrs. Lucy Buck as the first Noble Grand.
During their first year, membership grew to 64 members.
For many years they sponsored the Hartland Academy Alumni Association Banquet with the first meals costing 50 cents.
The banquet also helped support a Nursing Scholarship Fund given out to local girls wishing to enter the nursing field.
Their ceremonial sashes pictured here were donated to the Hartland Historical Society by the town before the demolition of the Town Hall.
Order of the Patrons of Husbandry Grange No. 452
Chartered in Hartland in the late 1800s.
By the early 1900s, the Hartland Grange boasted over 200 members; 10th most in Somerset County at the time.
Their early gatherings were held at the Opera House until 1905 when a new dedicated hall was built on Seekins Street.
The chapter disbanded in the late 1960s.
The Outlook Club
Organized as a literary club in 1899 by a group of ladies including Dr. Jennie Fuller, Mrs. Jennette Schwartz, Mrs. Abbie Moulton, and Mrs. William Stewart.
The principle activity of the club was to support the Hartland Public Library however they also participated in several other activities such as sponsoring a local girl to attend Maine Legislature Day, various scholarships funds and contributing to C. A. R. E.
The club was federated in 1904.
Knights of the Maccabees
By 1907, a K. O. T. M. Chapter had formed in Hartland but their existence appears to have been short lived as they are not noted by the Maine State Yearbook in 1910.
They originally formed in 1878 in London, Ontario, Canada.
Independent Order of Foresters
By 1909, a chapter of the I. O. F. had been formed as noted in the Maine State Yearbook.
The Foresters helped transform the insurance industry by extending insurance benefits to the average working family.
Hartland 4-H Club
More details to follow.
Knights of Pythias No. 141
By 1922, the K. of P. Sebasticook Lodge No. 141 had been formed in Hartland as noted in the 1922-1923 Maine State Yearbook.
Their meetings were held at the former L. B. Wheeler Store on Outer Main Street. The building would become the home of the Corinthian Lodge in 1958.
See Main Street
Pythias Sisters Temple No. 29
By 1922, the Sister Auxiliary of the Knights of Pythias had also been formed.
Little is known of their local activities thus far.
Modern Woodmen of America No. 14,245
A Hartland Chapter is first noted in the Maine State Yearbook in 1922.
Originally founded in 1883, the fraternal benefit society sells life insurance, annuity and investment products to help fund member benefits and social, educational and volunteer programs that meet community needs.
Hartland Chamber of Commerce
Created in 1929, the chamber was originally formed to create various improvements to the town and encourage growth.
The original Board of Directors included Dr. Charles Moulton, Thomas Murray, Merrill Moore, Bertie Hanson, J. H. Haley, R. E. Nutting, George M. Lancey, Shirley Sweet & Elmer Baird.
They led the way for some local streets to be paved for the first time working with the Maine State Highway Commission.
In 1931 Commercial Street was paved from Water Street to Main Street. They also helped secure calcium chloride to keep dust down on the unpaved roads.
Following the 1932 closure of the American Woolen Company Mill in Hartland resulting from the 1929 Stock Market Crash, the Chamber turned its attention to bringing a new industry to town.
See Hartland Mills, Inc for Full Brochure
American Legion Post No. 141
The Hartland Post was first organized in 1930 and was originally named for Hartland World War I Veteran Christopher G. Linn.
In 1950 the chapter moved to its new home on Pleasant Street at the former schoolhouse where it remained until the building was razed in 2003.
Its name was changed in 1951 to the Steeves-McCormack American Legion Post 141 in honor of Hartland natives Norman Steeves and Donlin McCormack who were Killed In Action in World War II.
It remains active today albeit on a smaller scale and annually places flags on Veteran graves in every cemetery in Hartland.
American Legion Post No. 141 Auxiliary
Organized and chartered in Hartland on October 11, 1937 with 15 Charter Members.
Crystal Goforth was the first elected President.
Along with assisting the Legion Post, their many other projects included sponsoring girls for Dirigo State, Christmas gifts for local needy children, making Memorial Wreaths, assisting Veterans at Togus Hospital and honoring Hartland’s Gold Star Families as seen in the photo from 1949.
Lions Club International
Chartered in Hartland on March 25, 1940 with 28 Charter Members. The first President was Dr. Paul R. Briggs with Halver Whitney as Secretary and Carl Randlett serving as Treasurer.
Meetings were held at the Grange Hall during the WWII years. Their Annual Game Supper attracted gourmets from all over Maine to savor venison meals prepared by Chef George Mercier. The event was featured in a 5 page pictorial article by Outdoor Life Magazine in 1945.
Shortly after the war ended in 1945, the group disbanded until 1952 when the present club was reorganized led by the efforts of Merrill Moore who served as the Lion King through 1953.
Their fund raising projects have supported numerous causes including eye glasses for needy children, providing eye testing machines for local schools, sponsoring attendance to Boys & Girls Dirigo State and the building of a public outdoor tennis-basketball court on Seekins Street.
The Hartland Lions Club continues today serving the area communities.
Hartland Academy Alumni Association
Founded in 1923 through the efforts led by Mr. Ralph Kierstead of the Academy Faculty, Academy Principal Mr. Biggers and Academy Alumnus; Ella Getchell, Julia Converse, Roger Williams, Elmer Baird, Mary Connelly, Merrill Moore, Elizabeth Linn, Iva Furber, Elmer Burton and Ardis Lancey.
For many years, the Annual Alumni Banquet & Ball highlighted Graduation Week Festivities. In the 1950s, the Alumni Reunions garnered upwards of 500 people in attendance.
Although Hartland Academy ceased to exist after 1968, the Alumni Association carried onward and still holds reunions every 5 years with several dozen Hartland Academy Alumnus gathering for each event.
See Hartland Academy
Scott-Webb Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
Founded in 1947, they were instrumental in raising funds for the new North Wing of the hospital built that year as well as the fund raising effort for an elevator in 1954.
Their efforts enabled the addition of many new pieces of equipment and overall improvement to the facilities.
The auxiliary also assisted with many of the daily tasks associated with operating the hospital.
Seen in the photo are Charter Auxiliary Members (L-R); Edna Wood, Ina Emery & Meredith Randlett.
Hartland Consolidated School Parent-Teacher Association
Beginning soon after 1950 when the new Hartland Consolidated School was opened on Elm Street, the membership has established a long tradition of service to the youth of the community.
It eventually transformed into the Parent Teachers Citizen Club. Its Sub-Committee (P. T. C. C. Swimming Pool Corporation) was responsible for building a public swimming pool on Pleasant Street which it also administered with financial support from the town and matching funding provided by Hartland Tanning Company.
Since the 1980s, it has been known as the Hartland Consolidated Parents, Teachers & Friends Association. In 1994 the group led efforts to create the Hartland Community Playground. It continues today in its longstanding commitment to the well being of its students.
Boy Scouts of America Troop 486
Troop 486 of the BSA Pine Tree Council of Maine was formed in Hartland in 19__ with Merrill A. Moore serving as Scout Master.
In 1970, Troop 486 hosted the Pine Tree Council Annual Boy Scout Camporee which brought hundreds of Scouts from all over Maine to the Hartland Academy Ball Field for a weekend.
Cub Scout Pack ___ was formed in 1968 with Phil Seekins serving as Cub Scout Master assisted by Don Morrison directing the Webelos. Cub Scout Den Mothers included Sally Deering & Mrs. Turner.
Troop 486 was reorganized in the 1990s as Troop 404 but has since dissolved.
Hartland Couples Club
Formed in Hartland on March 25, 1958 with their first elected Co-Chairpersons Keith Tapley and his wife, Estelle (Randlett) Tapley as noted in this article.
The group was formed in association with the Grace Linn Methodist Church but engaged in many activities not directly related to the church.
They helped erect street signs, helped raise funds to provide new curtains for the Town Hall, helped raise funds for the new town swimming pool and sponsored students to Dirigo Boys & Girls State.
One of their largest fund raising efforts was helping raise money for the Hartland Academy Band to go to the Washington D. C. Cherry Blossom Festival in 1964.
The Hartland Couples Club continues with their community efforts today contributing to various fund raising drives and numerous activities in Hartland.
Great Moose Lake Association
First formed in 1970 and then reorganized in 1987, G.M.L.A. is a non-profit 501c community organization of homeowners, families, friends, business members and community organizations with a mission to preserve, protect and enhance the lake for current and future generations.
Their focus is on monitoring water quality and educating neighbors and visitors on how to maintain water quality while still enjoying all the benefits Great Moose Lake has to offer.
G.M.L.A. recognizes the lake as a vital natural and economical resource for all those who live on or use the lake. They hold numerous events and fund raisers in support of their cause and continue their efforts today.
See Great Moose Lake
Smokey’s Angels Snowmobile Club
Established on March 4, 1977 by Norman & Lucille Gilbert along with 14 other citizens looking to bring organization to the establishment and maintenance of the growing sport of snowmobiling.
The first President was Lewis P. Elliott and the club eventually grew to over 100 members. They maintained 56 miles of trails with only a small portion of their funds coming from snowmobile registrations done in town and the rest coming from numerous fund raisers held by the club.
Of their many accomplishments, the building of a 302 foot expansion bridge across the Sebasticook River near the foot of Rowell Hill ranks as one of their most impressive projects.
One of their many outings featured Maine U. S. Senator Margaret Chase Smith as a Guest of Honor who rode with the group for the day.
Morrill Pond Fish & Game Association
Formed in the late 1950s.
Hartland Helping Hands
Organized in 1989 by Town Manager Peggy Morgan, Dana & Debbie Cooper, Hadley & Ella Buker and June Lowe.
Its initial purpose was to address growing drug activities in town and with the assistance of Maine State Trooper Kristene Buchanan, the group brought the D. A. R. E. Program to Hartland schools. Additional funding needed for the program was supported through D. A. R. E. Fairs & BINGO. Their fund raising efforts were so successful that it provided a surplus to help fund other community projects.
Among their numerous annual contributions were Nokomis scholarships, new curtains at the Town Hall, 3 new portable radios for the Fire Department and the new Hartland Community Playground.
Hartland Historical Society
Chartered on October 23, 2001 by Co-Founders Hilda (Emery) Nutter & Myrtle (Lovely) Marble with numerous other Charter Members and the assistance of Town Manager Peggy Morgan.
The society’s goal of discovering, preserving and presenting Hartland’s history is carried on today by over 90 paid members and numerous contributors.
Hundreds of photos, artifacts and documents have been collected by HHS since its inception. These items have been recently digitized enabling shared public presentation via this dedicated website and a Facebook Group.
Initiating and coordinating the fund raising for the complete restoration and repair of Hartland’s 6 public cemeteries highlights the ongoing commitment to their goals.