Seekins Street is the namesake of Walter Ernest Mebroy Seekins
Future Seekins Street Location – 1896
In 1901, Walter E. M. Seekins (1860-1910) purchased a large lot of land from Calvin Blake, Jr which had been owned by his father Dr. Calvin Blake. Seekins soon created a new throughway extending from the entry of the Methodist Church on Commercial Street connecting to Blake Street. In the 1880s, Seekins had built a store on Commercial Street which he operated up until his death. Several of Walter’s children and grandchildren eventually built their houses on the new street.
The first attempt to make the newly formed public way an official street did not pass however a future warrant was accepted by voters by 1910.
1903 Town Report – Article 27: “To see if the town will vote to accept the Public Way commencing on the east side of Commercial Street, south of the Methodist Church lot and extending easterly to the west line of Blake Street in Hartland Village, as laid out by the Selectmen, and determine the amount of land damages.”
In 1910, Hartland P of H Grange #452 built their first dedicated Grange Hall on Seekins Street. The original building burnt in 1923 and was later replaced. Following their disbandment in the early 1960s, the building was used by town civic groups before being razed in the early 1970s and replaced with a Public Tennis & Basketball Court.
Patrons of Husbandry No. 452 Grange Hall – c1912
Seekins Street in the background with Grange Hall to the right – c1915 (Photo courtesy of Maggie Smith)
Seekins Street property ownership in 1943.
Hartland Village Map – 1943
Ariel View of Seekins Street – 2014 (Photo courtesy of Linda Paine)